Halitosis is a problem that affects people of all ages. You don’t want to have stinky breath if you are going to a job interview, first date or really any social interactions. You may think that you can simply go through your regular routine of brushing your teeth for thirty seconds but there are actually several factors that cause bad breath.
What causes bad breath?
- Food: No surprises here! The leading cause of bad breath is the food that you eat prior to a social engagement. If you want to avoid funky breath stay away from foods that are filled with garlic and heavy cheeses.
- Poor home care: Having a diligent home care routine will keep halitosis at bay more than breath mints or chewing gum. Always remember to brush your teeth at least twice a day and never forget to floss.
- Studies have revealed that about 80% of bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth from cavities or gum disease.
- If you suffer from diabetes, bronchitis or other conditions you may be at a high risk for halitosis.
How do I Cure Bad Breath
- Brush and Floss: As we stated earlier, the best way to combat halitosis to brush twice a day and always remember to floss.
- Brush your Tongue: A lot of pesky bacteria can get trapped on top of the tongue closest to your throat. This could mean the difference between fresh or nasty breath.
- Stay Hydrated: A dry mouth allows for the proliferation of bacteria which in turn causes bad breath. Keep hydrated with good old fashioned water.
- Eat food that smells good! Fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C act as natural breath fresheners.